Cover letters provide an introduction to your application and, most importantly, an opportunity for you to describe your interest in and fit with a particular program. It also allows you to address site-specific issues or questions.
All applications must include a separate site-specific cover letter for each program you are applying to. Each cover letter should address the following question: How do you envision our internship site meeting your training goals and interests?
We recommend that you be succinct yet be sure to cover the topic of fit between yourself and the internship site. If you are applying to a site with multiple programs, specify the specific program(s) you are applying to in the cover letter.
- Cover letters are typically 1-2 pages in length.
- Your cover letter should use a standard cover letter format for a typical job application process. See example below.
- A cover letter usually includes date, recipient’s address, salutation, body of letter, closing, and signature line. Note that your signature is your typed name.
October 15, 2019
Jane Smith, Ph.D.
1234 Main Street
Anytown, ME 12345
Dear Dr. Smith,
[Content of cover letter]
John Applicant, M.S
Uploading Your Cover Letter
- Click Add New Entry.
- Enter a title for the cover letter. We recommend using a title that clearly indicates which site the letter should be sent to. This will help you accurately identify the proper letter when you are submitting your applications.
- Click Choose File, then locate and select your file.
- Click Upload File.
- Add more cover letters as needed. You can upload up to 100 cover letters.