Skip to main content

Other Information

Military Status

If you have US military experience, select your anticipated status at the time of enrollment from the drop-down. Select Not a member of the military if this does not apply.

Social Security Number

Enter your social security number. This field is optional, but some programs may require it for their application, or for institutional or federal financial aid forms. Contact your programs directly to determine if they require you to enter your social security number. 

Standard Application Questions Regarding Prior Academic Misconduct

Indicate whether you've ever been disciplined for a violation of academic integrity. If so, provide an explanation in the space provided.

Standard Application Questions Regarding Prior Convictions

Indicate the following:

  • Whether you've ever been convicted of a felony (without such conviction being vacated).
  • Whether you've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor for which the sentence was imprisonment (without such conviction being vacated). 
  • Whether you've been convicted within the past five years of any misdemeanor (without such conviction being vacated). This excludes convictions for drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray, or disturbance of the peace.

If you answer yes to any of these questions, enter an explanation in the space provided.

Degree Option

Choose your intended degree.

Intended Major

If you are pursuing an MSW, select a major. You may select Macro (i.e., Community Organizing, Human Service Management, and Program Planning) or Clinical (i.e., Individuals, Families, and Groups).

Intended Track

If you are pursuing an MSW, choose a program track. You can choose one of the following:

  • Traditional Track: traditional program of MSW study.
  • Advanced Standing: to be considered for the Advanced Standing Program, you must have a bachelor’s degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. The degree must have been earned within six years of your expected start date. All Advanced Standing applicants must provide a completed final field evaluation to the Admissions Office.
    • If you are currently in your field placement, you must submit your mid-year evaluation by the application deadline to be considered for Advanced Standing. 
    • If offered admission on an advanced standing basis, you must provide a final field evaluation before matriculating.
    • This track is not available at our Cape Cod campus.
  • Human Services Experience (HSE): to be considered for the HSE track, you must be applying to an off-campus (Bedford, Cape Cod, and Fall River) or online program and have a minimum of two years of supervised human services experience. This experience must include weekly supervision by a master’s level supervisor. Examples of human service experience can include, but are not limited to:
    • Direct client care.
    • Case management. 
    • Group leadership.
    • Referral services.
    • Counseling.
    • Advocacy. 
    • Care planning.
      • Note that you must submit an employment verification form to be considered for this program.
      • This track is not available on the Charles River Campus.

Dual Degree

Indicate your interest in pursuing a dual degree. 


Indicate whether you are a transfer student. If you are transferring from another CSWE accredited graduate social work program, contact the Admissions Office as soon as possible to request a Petition to Transfer Credit Form. You should submit this petition after acceptance to BU School of Social Work.


Indicate whether you are seeking readmission or if you are re-applying to BU School of Social Work (as defined below). Note that if you previously received a rejection or declined an offer of admission and are submitting a new application to the program, select No

  • Readmission: the process of being readmitted to your program after a Leave of Absence (LOA) or withdrawal period of up to five years.
  • Re-Application: the process of submitting a new application to BU School of Social Work if you have been on an LOA or withdrawal for more than five years.


Indicate whether you were a non-matriculating student at BU School of Social Work. Note that you will need to submit evaluations from each BU School of Social Work professor. Contact the Admissions Office to obtain the proper evaluation for distribution to your professor(s).


Indicate your affiliation with City Year or the BRIDGE program.

Financial Aid

Carefully review this financial aid information before answering the questions in this section.

Additional Questions

Tell us how you heard about BU School of Social Work, why you decided to apply, and if you are applying to any other schools.

  • Was this article helpful?