Recommendations (sometimes called letters of reference, letters of recommendation, or evaluations) must be electronically submitted via the Evaluator Portal by the recommenders themselves. Recommendations cannot be completed or submitted by the applicant or another party on the recommender's behalf.
We are not responsible for verifying a recommender's identity. If a discrepancy is found, we reserve the right to contact the applicant or recommender to investigate and to share the discrepancy without comment with all programs.
Before You Begin
The instructions below will help ensure the recommendation process goes smoothly.
- All recommendations must be submitted electronically.
- Research each program's requirements. You should determine whether your programs have specific requirements regarding reference roles or relationships before listing recommenders on your application. Many programs have strict guidelines and completed recommendations cannot be removed or replaced. As a best practice, avoid recommendations from coworkers, an employee you supervised, relatives, or personal/family friends.
- Choose your recommenders early in the application process to ensure they have adequate time to submit your recommendation.
- Prepare your recommenders. Once you choose your recommenders, be sure to inform them about the process and that they will be completing the recommendation electronically. We recommend getting their preferred email address and asking that they monitor that inbox for your recommendation request (as well as any junk or spam folders).
You are required to request at least # Evaluation/Recommendations but may request a maximum of #. If you want to submit more than 5, send those additional Evaluation/Recommendations directly to your programs.
Submit a Recommendation Request
- In the Recommendations section, click Create Recommendation Request.
- Enter the recommender's full name and email address.
- Select the date by which you would like this recommendation completed. We recommend selecting a date that is at least four weeks before your earliest deadline.
- Enter a brief message or note intended for the recommender.
- Select whether you want to waive your right of access to the recommendation.
- Click the checkboxes to indicate your permission for us (and sites) to contact your recommenders.
- Click Save This Recommendation Request to submit it. Once you do so, an email is immediately sent to the recommender.
- Confirm with your recommenders that they received the email notification.
- Use the Check Status tab to monitor the status of your recommendations. Follow up with your recommenders if their recommendations are still marked as Requested or Accepted. It is your responsibility to ensure that recommendation requests are received and completed on time. We will not notify applicants about missing recommendations.
Change a Recommender's Email Address
If you entered an incorrect email address for a recommender, or if your recommender asks that you send the request to a different email address, you must delete the recommender and then re-add them with the correct email.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) gives you the right to access letters of evaluation unless you choose to waive your right of inspection and review. Prior to requesting an evaluation, you are required to indicate whether you wish to waive your rights. BioMedCAS will release your decision to waive or not waive access to your evaluators and designated programs. Your waiver decision serves the same purpose as a legal signature and is binding.