Before You Begin
Evaluations (sometimes called Letters of Evaluation, Letters of Reference, or Letters of Recommendation) are submitted by the Evaluators themselves; they cannot be completed or submitted by the applicant or another party on behalf of the Evaluator. We are not responsible for verifying Evaluators' identities. If a discrepancy is found, we reserve the right to contact the appropriate individuals to investigate and to share the discrepancy with all programs.
Before getting started, consider the following:
- Evaluations must be submitted electronically by Evaluators using our Evaluator Portal.
- Research each program's requirements. You should determine whether your programs have specific requirements regarding reference roles or relationships before listing Evaluators on your application. Many programs have strict guidelines and completed Evaluations cannot be removed or replaced.
- Prepare your Evaluators. Once you choose your Evaluators, be sure to inform them about the process and that they will be completing the Evaluation electronically. We recommend getting their preferred email address and asking that they monitor that inbox for your request, including any junk or spam folders.
Submit a Request
- In the Evaluations section, click Create Evaluation Request.
- Enter the Evaluator's full name and email address.
- Select the date by which you would like this Evaluation completed. We recommend selecting a date that is at least four weeks before your earliest deadline.
- Enter a brief message or note for the Evaluator.
- Select whether you want to waive your right of access to the Evaluation. See Waiver below.
- Click the checkboxes to indicate your permission for us (and programs) to contact your Evaluators.
- Click Save This Evaluation Request to submit it. Once you do so, an email is immediately sent to the Evaluator.
- Confirm with your Evaluators that they received the email notification.
- Use the Check Status tab to monitor the status of your Evaluations. Completed Evaluations are marked as "Complete" and have a Complete Date listed. Follow up with your Evaluators if their Evaluations are still marked as "Requested" or "Accepted." It is your responsibility to ensure that Evaluation requests are received and completed on time. We will not notify applicants about missing Evaluations.
Change the Evaluator's Email Address
If you entered an incorrect email address for an Evaluator, or if your Evaluator asks that you send the request to a different email address, you must delete the request and then re-add it with the correct email.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) gives you the right to access Evaluations unless you choose to waive your right of inspection and review. Prior to requesting an Evaluation, you are required to indicate whether you wish to waive your rights. PSYCAS will release your decision to waive or not waive access to your Evaluators and designated programs. Your waiver decision serves the same purpose as a legal signature and is binding.
Selecting Yes indicates to programs that your Evaluator completed their Evaluation with the understanding that you would not be able to view it. This means you will not be able to see the content of the Evaluation. Programs may view this type of Evaluation as a more accurate representation of an applicant's qualifications.
Selecting No indicates to programs that your Evaluator completed their Evaluation with the understanding that you may choose to view it in the future. Selecting this option does not allow you to view your Evaluation via the application. If you do not waive your right to view the Evaluation, you may ask your reference for a copy of the Evaluation. Programs may view this type of Evaluation as a less accurate representation of an applicant's qualifications.
Once you make a selection, you can't change it, so consider the choices carefully.