The PSYCAS application cycle opens on September 13, 2017, and closes on August 30, 2018.
In some instances, the individual program's deadline may differ from the application's cycle dates. You can view a program's deadline in two ways:
- From the Add Program tab.
- Review the information under the Deadline column.
- From the Program Materials section.
- Your selected programs appear here; click each program's name to view the associated details, including the deadline.
PSYCAS charges $50 for the first program you apply to and $35 for each additional program.
Some programs may have an additional supplemental fee; contact your programs to learn if they require this and how to pay it.
Beginning at the start of the cycle, a limited number of fee waivers are available to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. PSYCAS offers two types of fee waivers:
- Financial-Based Fee Waivers, which cover the cost of the first program you apply to ($50).
- Service-Based Fee Waivers, which cover the cost of the first three programs you apply ($50, $35, and $35, for a total of $120).
- Note: Even if you qualify for multiple service-based fee waivers, you can only receive one service-based fee waiver.
You can only apply for one type of fee waiver per cycle. Additionally, you must request a fee waiver before you submit your application. Requests received after an application has been submitted will not be honored.
If you are approved for a fee waiver, you are required to submit your application within the cycle, or you forfeit the waiver. Extensions will not be granted; failure to submit your application on time will void your fee waiver and you will not be allowed to reapply for a waiver. Fee waiver amounts are applied the first time you submit your application. If you don’t use the full amount of your fee waiver in your first submission, you will forfeit the remaining balance and can’t apply it towards future application submissions. For example, if you are awarded 3 service-based fee waivers, you must use them to apply for 3 programs in a single transaction or you will forfeit the remaining balance and cannot apply them towards future application submissions.
Financial-Based Fee Waivers
To qualify for a financial-based fee waiver, you must have either:
- Filed a 2016 Federal Income Tax Return Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ with an adjusted gross income that falls below the Low Income Level listed below, or
- Been listed as a dependent on a filed 2016 Federal Income Tax Return Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ with an adjusted gross income that falls below the Low Income Level listed below. If you were claimed as a dependent by a parent or guardian on their 2016 Federal Income Tax Return, PSYCAS requires you to use that individual's Federal Income Tax Return instead of your own.
Low Income Levels for Academic Year 2017-2018 Awards*
If applicable, use the following chart to help you determine if you come from an economically disadvantaged background.
|Size of Family**||Income Level***|
|For each additional person add:||$8,360|
* The low income level is based on 200 percent of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines. It is used to determine what constitutes a low-income family for the purposes of the SDS and LDS programs for the Academic Year 2017-2018.
** Size of family means the number of exemptions listed on the qualified income tax return forms. For example, a family size of 4 may include two parents and two dependents.
*** Income Level refers to the adjusted gross income stated on the 2016 filed federal income tax return 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
Service-Based Fee Waivers
To qualify for a service-based fee waiver, you must have participated in one of the eligible service-based organizations:
- McNair Scholar
- Leadership Alliance
- Gates Millennium Scholar
- Peace Corps: Information on obtaining a Description of Service (DOS) from Peace Corps in-country volunteers is available here. Upload the DOS to your PSYCAS application.
Click on an organization above to download the fee waiver form. Complete the form and (if necessary) have a certifying officer or program administrator complete their section of the form.
Note: You'll need to upload a scanned copy of this document to your application before you submit.
Applying for a Fee Waiver
Determine when to apply for your waiver.
Keep in mind that fee waivers are valid until the end of the cycle. Be ready to submit your application if you are approved.
Start your application.
You must have an account to apply for a fee waiver. Fee assistance applications are not accepted by mail or email.
Complete and submit your fee assistance application.
Once you submit your fee waiver request, it can take up to 10 business days to process. The status of your request will be sent to both your e-mail address and your application inbox.
While your fee waiver request is pending, you are unable to submit your application. To submit your application and forfeit your waiver request, return to the Fee Assistance Program section and click Cancel Request. Once you submit your application, you are ineligible to apply for another fee waiver.
Submit your application and pay any remaining balance.
If you are approved, the waiver amount will be automatically deducted from your total fees, and you are responsible for any remaining balance. Contact customer service immediately if you do not see the waiver amount deducted.
Outstanding transcripts, evaluations, and/or test scores do not have to be received within this timeframe.