Personal Statement/Letter of Intent
You must submit a site-specific personal statement or letter of intent to each pharmacy residency that you apply to. The letter should address the following questions:
- Why do you want to do a pharmacy residency?
- What are your career goals and major areas of interest?
- Why are you interested in this specific residency?
- How do you envision this residency meeting your training goals and interests?
- Why do you believe you are a good fit for this program?
We also recommend checking the residency program's application information for any specific questions they want addressed in the letter of intent.
Your letter should be specific to each residency program and address site-specific issues and training opportunities. Be sure to discuss how you are a good fit for the residency program. If you are applying to a residency program with multiple sites or tracks, you may want to specify all of the sites or tracks you are interested in.
- Cover letters/personal statements are typically 1-2 pages in length.
- Use simple formatting.
- Use a standard cover letter format for a typical job application process.
- A cover letter usually includes date, recipient’s address, salutation, body of letter, closing, and signature line. Note that your signature is your typed name.
- Use a file name that clearly indicates the site to which the letter should be sent (e.g., Residency Program Name and State).
Uploading Your Letter
- Click Choose File, then locate and select your file.
- Click Submit.
- Add more letters as needed.