Study Abroad or Overseas US Transcripts
If your program requires you to submit official transcripts, follow the steps below. If your program requires you to submit unofficial transcripts or no transcripts, see Colleges Attended for more information.
The process for reporting Study Abroad coursework varies depending on the program type and how the domestic institution reports it. Review the options below to determine how to report your experience. Contact customer service with any questions.
Study Abroad at an Overseas US Institution
If you studied at a school on the Overseas Institutions List (see list at the end of the page), you need to:
- Add the school in the Colleges Attended section and add any courses you completed at the school in the Transcript Entry section.
- Arrange for the Overseas US Institution to send your transcript directly to RFUCAS.
Study Abroad at Another US Institution
If you used another US institution's program to study abroad or studied via one of the study abroad programs listed below, you must:
- Add the school in the Colleges Attended section.
- Add any courses you completed at the school in the Transcript Entry section. Make sure you mark these courses as Study Abroad during Transcript Review. Note that if you studied at:
- CEA Study Center: report your coursework under the University of New Haven (only for coursework exclusively at a study center).
- CIEE: if you attended a program through CIEE's School of Record, report your coursework under Tulane University (Fall 2016–present) or Spelman College (Spring 2004–Summer 2016). Visit CIEE's website for more information.
- IES Abroad: report your coursework under the University of Rochester.
- The School of Field Studies (SFS): report your coursework under the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
- Semester at Sea: report your coursework under the University of Virginia.
- SIT: report your coursework under the School of International Training.
- Arrange for the school to send your transcript directly to RFUCAS.
Study Abroad via Any Other Method
If the two options above do not apply to you, review the following scenarios:
- If your full credits and grades for study abroad courses appear on your undergraduate transcript, you should list these courses normally with the rest of your undergraduate courses. Make sure you mark these courses as Study Abroad during Transcript Review. Do not report your study abroad school as a foreign institution. No additional documentation is needed. Acceptable grades include A-F, Credit, Pass, etc. Entering "TR" for "transfer" is not an acceptable grade, nor are credits and grades that do not match those on the rest of your transcript (i.e., the grades are not US grades). If your courses have grades of TR or are recorded in foreign grades, use the option below.
- If your full credits and/or grades for study abroad courses do not appear on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. You do not need to list your courses under foreign schools as we do not allow foreign coursework to be recorded. Do not send any documentation unless an evaluation is required by a program that you're applying to; check with your programs to determine if they require foreign evaluations.
Overseas Institutions List
RFUCAS recognizes the following overseas foreign institutions that have US regional accreditation through CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) and use English as the primary language of instruction and documentation.
- Abu Dhabi University
- Al Akhawayn University
- Alliant IU Hong Kong
- American College in Dublin
- American College of Greece
- American College of Thessaloniki
- American University in Paris
- American University in Rome
- American University in Sharjah
- American University of Armenia
- American University of Beirut
- American University of Bulgaria
- American University of Dubai
- American University of Madaba
- American University of Ras Al Khaimah
- Amity University Uttar Pradesh
- Anglo American University
- Bermuda College
- Cairo American University
- Central European University
- CETYS University
- École hôtelière de Lausanne
- Franklin University Switzerland (formerly known as Franklin College Switzerland)
- Fundación Universidad de las Américas Puebla
- Glion Institute of Higher Education
- H. Lavity Stoutt Community College
- Hellenic American University
- INCAE Business School
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
- Lebanese American University
- Les Roches Global Hospitality Education
- Ming Chuan University
- Notre Dame University-Louaize
- Open University
- Perrotis College
- The University of the South Pacific
- United Arab Emirates University
- Universidad Andrés Bello
- Universidad de las Américas
- Universidad de las Américas, A.C.
- Universidad de Monterrey
- Universidad Mayor
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas
- United States International University Africa – Nairobi
- Zayed University
RFUCAS recognizes the following US institutions with overseas campuses that are included in the US-based institution's accreditation through CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) and use English as the primary language of instruction and documentation.
- Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
- Georgetown University in Qatar
- Hebrew Union College (Jewish Institute of Religion) in Jerusalem
- Hult International Business School – campuses in Dubai, London, and Shanghai
- John Cabot University in Rome
- McDaniel College in Budapest
- Northwestern University in Qatar
- Richmond, the American International University in London
- RIT-Kosovo (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Texas A&M University in Qatar
- Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar
- Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar