Skip to main content

Foreign and French-Canadian Transcripts


This topic pertains to applicants who attended foreign and French-Canadian schools. These instructions do not apply to applicants who attended a foreign school as part of a study abroad program. See Study Abroad and Overseas US Transcripts for more information on reporting your study abroad experience.

Canadian Schools

English-Canadian Transcripts

Canadian schools that provide English transcripts are not considered foreign. We do not accept foreign evaluations from Canadian schools that provide transcripts in English. Transcripts from these schools must be sent to SOPHAS even if your program does not accept them. Please see the US and English-Canadian Transcripts section for information on reporting that coursework.

French-Canadian Transcripts

Canadian schools that issue transcripts in French are considered foreign and must be reported like any other foreign school. We cannot accept original Canadian transcripts which are written in French. However, foreign evaluations for these schools should be sent to SOPHAS.

Caribbean Medical Schools

All Caribbean medical schools are considered foreign institutions and are not US accredited, even if they have offices in the US or allow US licensing. Do not send transcripts from these schools to SOPHAS, as they will be discarded. Determine whether your programs require foreign evaluations (which may be sent to SOPHAS), or if they will accept original Caribbean transcripts mailed directly to the program.

Documenting Foreign Coursework

If you attended a foreign school or earned your degree outside of the United States, SOPHAS does not require any documentation, but the majority of programs you're applying to require you to submit your foreign coursework to a US-based evaluation service for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to SOPHAS from the evaluation service.

Contact a foreign transcript evaluation service as early as possible. Services can take several weeks to process your transcript(s) once received.

Do not send foreign transcripts to SOPHAS, including those printed in English or translated into English; they will be discarded.

Foreign Evaluation Vendor

SOPHAS requires applicants to request foreign evaluations from World Education Services (WES), Inc. only. You can request electronic WES ICAP course-by-course evaluations directly through the application.

  1. Click Order after listing your foreign school in the Colleges Attended section and follow the prompts. Make sure to select SOPHAS from the drop-down on WES's page.

    WES 5.png

    Once WES completes your evaluation, they will send it to SOPHAS electronically. Note that SOPHAS does not accept paper WES evaluations sent via mail.
  2. Click I Ordered My Evaluation once you requested an electronic WES evaluation. Or, click I Will Do This Later to return to Colleges Attended.
  • Was this article helpful?