Skip to main content


Use the Documents section to upload required and optional documents. If you do not want to upload any documents, select I Am Not Adding Any Documents.

Be sure to proofread and review your documents before you submit the application. Once your application is submitted, you cannot re-upload, update, or edit the document in any way; however, you can upload new documents. Be sure to notify your campus(es) about any changes or if you upload additional information after you submit your application.

If you find an error after submission that you believe could affect the consideration of your application, we recommend sending a corrected version directly to your campus(es).

Add a Document

  1. Click Add Document.
  2. Click Choose File.
  3. Locate and select your file.
  4. Click Upload This Document.

Note: you are responsible for protecting any sensitive information in the documents you are uploading (for example, your Social Security Number). Be sure to redact any sensitive information.

Document Types

Certificate of Eligibility for Military/Veteran Benefits

This is a letter from the VA that details the type of benefits you have, your percentage of eligibility, and the amount of educational benefits remaining.

If you have not yet received a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, but would like to start your benefits, provide a copy of your application VA Form 22-1990, 22-1990e, 22-5490, 22-1995, or 22-5495. Veterans may also provide a copy of their current entitlement from eBenefits.

Military Documentation

Veteran Exemption to Non-Resident Tuition Rate

Submit this form to your campus admissions and records office prior to the first day of instruction of the term. Per University of Hawaiʻi Board of Regents Policy RP 6.208 Board Exemptions to Non-Resident Tuition, the student may be exempted from the non-resident tuition rate if the student is an:

  • Individual who receives Veterans Post-9/11 GI Bill® (chapter 33) or Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (chapter 30) education benefits and lives in Hawaiʻi, OR
  • Individual eligible to use transferred Veterans Post 9/11 GI Bill® education benefits and who lives in Hawaiʻi.
  • Individual eligible to use transferred Veterans Post 9/11 GI Bill® education benefits, who lives in Hawaiʻi, and whose transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • Individual eligible to use education benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, who lives in Hawaiʻi.
  • Individual using educational assistance under the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) (chapter 31) program and who lives in Hawaiʻi.

Proof of Hawaiian Ancestry

To qualify for an exemption to Non-Resident Tuition Rate, Native Hawaiians, descendants of the aboriginal peoples that inhabited the Hawaiian Islands and exercised sovereignty in the Hawaiian Islands in 1778, must provide evidence of Hawaiian ancestry via State or government-issued birth certificate that reflects Hawaiian ancestry or OHA registry card.

Proof of Pacific Island District Citizenship

The University of Hawai'i also allows citizens of certain Pacific islands that do not have baccalaureate-granting public institutions to pay 150 percent of the resident tuition. If you meet this requirement, submit the appropriate documentation according to the following chart:

District, Nation, etc.


Required Documentation

American Samoa US National
  • US passport endorsed as "US National not US citizen" listing American Samoa as birthplace, OR
  • Birth certificate, OR
  • Official high school transcript from high school in American Samoa
Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Commonwealth
  • Birth certificate, OR
  • Official high school transcript from high school in Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas

Federated States of Micronesia (Chuuk, Kosrae, Phonpei, Yap)

Republic of Palau

Republic of the Marshall Islands

Compact of Free Association
  • Passport from qualifying country (primary), OR
  • Birth certificate

Other Districts:

  • Cook Islands
  • Futuna
  • Kiribati
  • Nauru
  • Niue
  • Rapa Nui (Easter Island)
  • Solomon Islands
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
  • New Caledonia
  • Vanuatu
  • Wallis
Other Districts Passport from qualifying country (primary)

Review more information on required documentation. We recommend that you check with the campus you are applying to for additional information.

UH Personnel Notification Form

Full-time employees of the University of Hawaiʻi and their spouses and legal dependents are eligible for employee exemption to the non-resident tuition rate. However, proof of University of Hawaiʻi employment is needed for this determination. Check with your campus Human Resources office for further information and/or to obtain a copy of your UH PNF. For more information, review the tuition waiver requirements.

  • Was this article helpful?