Skip to main content

Foreign and French-Canadian Transcripts


This topic pertains to applicants who attended foreign and French-Canadian schools. These instructions do not apply to applicants who attended a foreign school as part of a study abroad program. See Study Abroad and Overseas US Transcripts for more information on reporting your study abroad experience. 

Canadian Schools

English-Canadian Transcripts

Canadian schools that provide English transcripts are not considered foreign. We do not accept foreign evaluations from Canadian schools that provide transcripts in English. Transcripts from these schools must be sent to UNMC IPAP even if your program does not accept them. Please see the US and English-Canadian Transcripts section for information on reporting that coursework.

French-Canadian Transcripts

Canadian schools that issue transcripts in French are considered foreign and must be reported like any other foreign school. We cannot accept original Canadian transcripts which are written in French. However, foreign evaluations for these schools should be sent to UNMC IPAP. 

Caribbean Medical Schools

All Caribbean medical schools are considered foreign institutions and are not US accredited, even if they have offices in the US or allow US licensing. Do not send transcripts from these schools to UNMC IPAP, as they will be discarded. Determine whether your programs require foreign evaluations (which may be sent to UNMC IPAP), or if they will accept original Caribbean transcripts mailed directly to the program. 

Documenting Foreign Coursework

If you attended a foreign school or earned your degree outside of the United States, UNMC IPAP does not require any documentation, but the majority of programs you're applying to require you to submit your foreign coursework to a US-based evaluation service for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to UNMC IPAP from the evaluation service. 

Contact a foreign transcript evaluation service as early as possible. Services can take several weeks to process your transcript(s) once received. 

Do not send foreign transcripts to UNMC IPAP, including those printed in English or translated into English; they will be discarded. 

Foreign Evaluation Vendors

The following are foreign evaluation vendors our applicants have used in the past. This list is not all-inclusive and we do not recommend or endorse any particular vendor or service. Check with your programs to see if they have a preferred or required vendor that may not be on this list.

  • World Education Services (WES), Inc. 
    • If you choose WES, you can request electronic WES evaluations directly through the application. Click Order WES Evaluation after listing your foreign school in the Colleges Attended section. Make sure to select UNMC IPAP from the drop-down on WES's page. Once WES completes your evaluation, they will send it to UNMC IPAP electronically. UNMC IPAP also accepts paper WES evaluations sent via mail. 

      WES 5.png
  • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
    • If you choose ECE, you can request electronic ECE evaluations directly through the application. Click Order ECE Evaluation after listing your foreign school in the Colleges Attended section. Once ECE completes your evaluation, they will send it to UNMC IPAP electronically. UNMC IPAP also accepts paper ECE evaluations sent via mail. 
  • International Education Research Foundation, Inc. 
  • Educational Perspectives

If you send foreign evaluations by mail, use the following address:

UNMC IPAP Transcript Processing Center
PO Box 9140
Watertown, MA 02471

We are not responsible for any materials lost in the mail. Express or certified mail does not guarantee faster processing or receipt. 

  • Was this article helpful?