During Verification, University of South Alabama uses the information you entered in the Transcript Entry section to calculate GPAs for each institution (school) you attended. To calculate these GPAs, each A-F or 0-100 grade you entered in the Grade field is first converted to a University of South Alabama numeric grade value, then multiplied by the attempted credits. The resulting product is Quality Points.
Your total Quality Points are then divided by your total Attempted Credits to determine your school GPA.
|Course||Transcript Grade||Converted Numeric Grade Value||Attempted Credits||Calculation||Quality Points|
|MATH 1100||A||4||4||4 x 4||16|
|ENGL 1310||B||3||3||3 x 3||9|
|GEOL 1610||C||2||4||2 x 4||8|
|PHED 1000||D||1||3||1 x 3||3|
|PSCI 1040||F||0||3||0 x 3||0|
|GPA Calculation: 36 (Quality Points) / 17 (Attempted Credits) = 2.12 (GPA)|
Using Quality Points, University of South Alabama also calculates a GPA for each academic year. GPAs from your Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior academic years are subsequently:
- Combined with any post-baccalaureate coursework to create a cumulative undergraduate GPA, and
- Combined with any post-baccalaureate coursework plus any graduate coursework to create an overall GPA.
Year-Level GPA Example:
Note that University of South Alabama calculates all GPAs in semester hours. Courses that were completed in quarter hours are converted to semester hours. The conversion ratio is 1.0 quarter hour = 0.667 semester hours.
Because of the standardization that occurs during Verification, it is not uncommon to see GPA discrepancies between what your schools calculate and what University of South Alabama calculates. Discrepancies occur because:
- University of South Alabama does not recognize an individual school's policies for forgiveness, academic renewal, or grade replacement for repeated courses. All grades earned for repeated courses are factored into your University of South Alabama GPA.
- University of South Alabama calculates all GPAs in semester hours. Courses that were completed in quarter hours are converted to semester hours. The conversion ratio is 1.0 quarter hour = 0.667 semester hours.
- University of South Alabama breaks down your GPA by academic year, so coursework completed at multiple schools for similar academic years get combined. For example, if you completed freshman coursework at College ABC and freshman coursework at College XYZ, University of South Alabama uses all of that coursework to calculate the GPA for your freshman academic year.