2017-2018 VMCAS Essay Questions
The following three essay questions are required for the VMCAS application. Each question has a 1,000 character limit. Note that individual programs may require additional essays and/or short answer questions.
- There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
- In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you do to contribute?
- Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?
- Once you submit your application, the essays cannot be edited or changed.
- Do not exceed the maximum length: Refer to the number below the Essay field in the application. This is the number of characters (not words) that you can use in your essay. As you type, you can see how many characters are still available. Characters include spaces, carriage returns, and punctuation. You cannot save your essay if it exceeds the character limit.
- Use your own words: Plagiarizing any part of your essay is a violation of the Applicant Code of Conduct and may subject you to sanctions.
- Use simple formatting: Formatting such as tabs, italics, multiple spaces, etc., will not be saved. To delineate paragraphs, type a double return between each paragraph.
Be sure to read over your essay several times to catch any spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., errors before submitting. Once you submit your application, you cannot edit your essay. If you find an error after submission that you believe could have major effects on your application, we recommend sending a corrected copy directly to the programs you applied to.