The following three essay questions are required for the VMCAS application. Note that individual programs may require additional essays and/or short answer questions.
- There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why? (2,000 character limit)
- In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute? (2,000 character limit)
- Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past? (2,000 character limit)
- Keep your topic general: Follow the prompt in this section to write your statement. Keep the statement general as this essay is sent to all the programs you apply to. If you plan to only apply to one program, we still strongly recommend keeping your statement general in case you later apply to additional programs. Once you submit your application, the essay cannot be edited or changed.
- Do not exceed the maximum length: You can see both the word and character count below the field in the application. The right-hand number shows the maximum number of characters that you can use in your essay. As you type, you can see how many characters are still available and the associated word count. Characters include spaces, carriage returns, and punctuation. You cannot save your essay if it exceeds the character limit.
- Use your own words: Plagiarizing any part of your essay is a violation of the code of conduct and may subject you to sanctions.
- Use simple formatting: Formatting such as tabs, italics, multiple spaces, etc., will not be saved. To delineate paragraphs, type a double return between each paragraph.
Be sure to read over your essay several times to catch any spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., errors before submitting. Once you submit your application, you cannot edit your essay. If you find an error after submission that you believe could have major effects on your application, we recommend sending a corrected copy directly to the programs you applied to.