The WebAdMIT sandbox ("sandbox") is a copy of the WebAdMIT production environment ("production") with obfuscated sensitive applicant data (e.g., surnames, email addresses, etc.). Since it's isolated from production, the sandbox is useful for testing and training purposes; any actions performed in the sandbox will have no effect on the live data in production. This provides users with a safe, "near-production" environment for testing or training purposes. The applicant data that appears in the sandbox comes from the applicant data in the production environment, making the sandbox useful for schools that are live and accepting applications; schools that are not live or accepting applications may find that there is limited value in using the sandbox due to a lack of applicant data (i.e., the sandbox is generally useful only to current CAS/WebAdMIT schools – prospective CAS members will not have any data or accounts in the system).
To access the sandbox, visit https://sandbox.webadmit.org and use your existing WebAdMIT credentials to log in. Note the following:
- Your sandbox credentials will default to whatever your WebAdMIT production credentials were at the time of the last refresh.
- For example, if the sandbox refresh last occurred on December 1 and you changed your password on December 2, you'll need to use the previous password (from December 1) to log in to the sandbox.
- Production and sandbox are two separate systems; if you change your password in one environment be sure to change your password in the other (if you choose to keep these passwords in sync).
- The CAS Configuration Portal accessed from the WebAdMIT sandbox is also a sandbox environment and allows you to safely make changes to your programs (and preview them in the Applicant Portal sandbox, detailed below) without impacting your production configurations.
Note: When preparing for a cycle rollover, users configure programs in the WebAdMIT prelaunch environment ("prelaunch"). Prelaunch is a "staging" environment that allows you to configure programs for the new cycle without impacting the current cycle. Prelaunch is similar to the sandbox environment in that it is not connected to the live environment ("production").
The following functionality is fully enabled in the WebAdMIT sandbox, and you can perform actions as you normally would in production:
- Perform Search functions
- Search for applicants
- Search Assignments
- Search Interviews
- Search Correspondence
- Add applicants to the Clipboard
- Use the List Manager to generate Field and Composite Lists
- Manage Work Groups and Admissions Users
- Create, manage, and use Local Statuses, Custom Fields, Requirements, Assignments, Interviews, and Scoring Models
- Create and manage Email Templates and Email Addresses
- Modify the Applicant Header
- Run Reports and Exports
- Use the Configuration Portal
- Use the WebAdMIT API (though the root of API calls must be changed to sandbox.webadmit.org instead of api.webadmit.org)
The following functionality is disabled in the WebAdMIT sandbox:
- Document Downloads & PDF Generation, except for documents that are part of sandbox test applications that you created via the Applicant Portal sandbox (described below)
- Liaison Transcript Scanning & Processing
- Sending Emails
- SSN Downloads
Deployment Window and Refresh Process
Sandbox is deployed between 9:00 AM ET and 2:00 PM ET every Monday (if Monday is a US or Canadian holiday, deployment is the next business day). This deployment includes all system changes from the preceding release.
To ensure the WebAdMIT sandbox contains the most up-to-date data, the data that exists in production is copied to sandbox every 4-6 weeks. This means that anything that exists in sandbox which is not in production will be overwritten (i.e., deleted) after a refresh. For example, if you built a scoring model in sandbox which is not in production, that scoring model will be deleted once the refresh occurs. Conversely, if you built a scoring model in production after the last refresh, that model will appear in sandbox following the next refresh.
Remember that all sensitive data in the sandbox is obfuscated. Additionally, because the sandbox is a copy of production, any bugs or related issues in production may also affect sandbox. Additionally, sprint enhancements and bug fixes that are deployed in production will also be deployed in sandbox (generally within two days of deployment in production).
Note: Upcoming sandbox refresh dates are posted in the Coming Soon section of the release notes.
The WebAdMIT sandbox often receives security patches for testing earlier than the production environment. If you are encountering any difficulty connecting to the WebAdMIT sandbox, especially via the API, but have no difficulty connecting with production, a security patch may be the issue. Contact WebAdMIT Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to resolve your issue.
Applicant Portal Sandbox
In addition to the WebAdMIT sandbox, each Centralized Application Service (CAS) also has an Applicant Portal sandbox that you can use to test the application's functionality. To access a CAS sandbox, add "sandbox" to the CAS URL as follows:
Similar to the WebAdMIT sandbox, the CAS sandboxes are periodically refreshed with obfuscated production data and program configurations. If you recently activated some of your programs to be live in production for applicants to apply to, those activations may not be reflected in the CAS Applicant Portal sandbox until the next refresh. However, you can activate or request to have activated specific programs in the WebAdMIT sandbox/Configuration Portal sandbox so you can test new configurations. Contact email@example.com if you need help with this.
Submitting Test Applications
You can submit test applications in your CAS’s sandbox environment. Once an application is ready for submission, use the following test credit card information to mock a payment and submit the application:
- Name on Card: test test
- Card Type: Visa
- Card Number: 4111 1111 1111 1111
- Expiration Date: 06/2019 (any date before 2020 should work)
- CVV: 111
The application will appear in your WebAdMIT sandbox shortly after submission, just as it does in the live WebAdMIT environment.