If your program requires you to submit official transcripts, follow the steps below. If your program requires you to submit unofficial transcripts or no transcripts, see Colleges Attended for more information.
This topic pertains to applicants who attended foreign and French-Canadian schools. These instructions do not apply to applicants who attended a foreign school as part of a study abroad program. See Study Abroad and Overseas US Transcripts for more information on reporting your study abroad experience.
Canadian schools that provide English transcripts are not considered foreign. We do not accept foreign evaluations from Canadian schools that provide transcripts in English. Transcripts from these schools must be sent to ADEA DHCAS even if your program does not accept them. Please see the US and English-Canadian Transcripts section for information on reporting that coursework.
Canadian schools that issue transcripts in French are considered foreign and must be reported like any other foreign school. We cannot accept original Canadian transcripts which are written in French. However, foreign evaluations for these schools should be sent to ADEA DHCAS.
Caribbean Medical Schools
All Caribbean medical schools are considered foreign institutions and are not US accredited, even if they have offices in the US or allow US licensing. Do not send transcripts from these schools to ADEA DHCAS, as they will be discarded. Determine whether your programs require foreign evaluations (which may be sent to ADEA DHCAS), or if they will accept original Caribbean transcripts mailed directly to the program.
Documenting Foreign Coursework
If you attended a foreign school or earned your degree outside of the United States, ADEA DHCAS does not require any documentation, but the majority of programs you're applying to require you to submit your foreign coursework to a US-based evaluation service for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to ADEA DHCAS from the evaluation service.
Contact a foreign transcript evaluation service as early as possible. Services can take several weeks to process your transcript(s) once received.
Do not send foreign transcripts to ADEA DHCAS, including those printed in English or translated into English; they will be discarded.
Foreign Evaluation Vendors
The following are foreign evaluation vendors our applicants have used in the past. This list is not all-inclusive and we do not recommend or endorse any particular vendor or service. Check with your programs to see if they have a preferred or required vendor that may not be on this list.
- World Education Services (WES), Inc.
- If you choose WES, you can request electronic WES evaluations directly through the application. Click Order WES Evaluation after listing your foreign school in the Colleges Attended section. Make sure to select ADEA DHCAS from the drop-down on WES's page. Once WES completes your evaluation, they will send it to ADEA DHCAS electronically. ADEA DHCAS also accepts paper WES evaluations sent via mail.
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- If you choose ECE, you can request electronic ECE evaluations directly through the application. Click Order ECE Evaluation after listing your foreign school in the Colleges Attended section. Once ECE completes your evaluation, they will send it to ADEA DHCAS electronically. ADEA DHCAS also accepts paper WES evaluations sent via mail.
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
- Educational Perspectives