When you apply for admission to the CSU through Cal State Apply you are automatically considered for an application fee waiver based on the information requested in the application.
You must fully complete the application before the fee waiver eligibility is determined.
If you are eligible for an application fee waiver, you will see a Check My Fee Waivers link on the Submit Application page (see screenshot below). Click Check My Fee Waivers for more information. If you do not see the link, you are not eligible for a fee waiver.
Eligibility Criteria for Fee Waivers
To be considered for the application fee waiver, you must be:
- An undergraduate student (you cannot be in an extension program),
- A California resident for more than one year, and
- A US citizen or someone without lawful immigration status who qualifies for an AB540 non-resident tuition exception.
Applicants who are eligible for the application fee waiver may apply to up to four CSU campuses per application term (i.e., fall, spring).
Approved waivers are not transferrable to a future or past application term.
Mistakes to Avoid
Be aware that the following common errors may cause an eligible applicant not to receive an application fee waiver:
- If you report yourself as a dependent applicant with a family size of one.
- If you report the same dollar amount in the Adjusted Gross Income field as well as in the Untaxed Income field.
- If you select "none" in answer to "What U.S. State/Possession do you regard as your permanent home?"
Applicants who incorrectly report any of the items above will not be granted an application fee waiver.
See the Application Fee Waiver Checklist (PDF) for more guidance on how to avoid common errors.
The CSU does not accept College Board fee waivers, nor any other external waiver form.