The Program Materials section is specific to the programs you selected in the Add Programs section. These programs appear on the left side of the page. Click on the program's name to access their specific section. Each program's page can include several different tabs, depending on their individual requirements.
The Home tab contains the Program Details provided by each program at the start of the application cycle. It includes deadlines and other information specific to the program.
The Documents tab is only available for certain programs. If applicable, you can upload documents that will only be visible to that particular program. Documents that are marked as Optional do not need to be completed for you to submit your application.
Contact the program directly if you have any questions about their specific requirements.
If your program provides a PDF form to fill out and upload in this section, you must save and upload it as an image. Depending on your computer's operating system, there may be multiple ways to do this; a Google search can point you in the right direction.
The Questions tab is only available for certain programs. Here, you can answer questions specific to each program. Questions may be multiple choice or open-ended text boxes. Some programs require an additional essay. Contact each program directly if you have questions.
Select your answers for each question and then click Save My Responses.
The Recommendations tab is only available for certain programs. Here, you can submit Recommendation requests.
Submit a Request
- In the Recommendations section, click Create Recommendation Request.
- Enter the Recommender's full name and email address.
- Select the date by which you would like this Recommendation completed. We recommend selecting a date that is at least four weeks before your earliest deadline.
- Enter a brief message or note for the Recommender.
- Select whether you want to waive your right of access to the Recommendation. See Waiver below.
- Click the checkboxes to indicate your permission for us (and programs) to contact your Recommenders.
- Click Save This Recommendation Request to submit it. Once you do so, an email is immediately sent to the Recommender.
- Confirm with your Recommenders that they received the email notification.
- Use the Check Status tab to monitor the status of your Recommendations. Completed Recommendations are marked as "Complete" and have a Complete Date listed. Follow up with your Recommenders if their Recommendations are still marked as "Requested" or "Accepted." It is your responsibility to ensure that Recommendation requests are received and completed on time. We will not notify applicants about missing Recommendations.
Change the Recommender's Email Address
If you entered an incorrect email address for an Recommender, or if your Recommender asks that you send the request to a different email address, you must delete the request and then re-add it with the correct email.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) gives you the right to access Recommendations unless you choose to waive your right of inspection and review. Prior to requesting an Recommendation, you are required to indicate whether you wish to waive your rights. GradCAS will release your decision to waive or not waive access to your Recommenders and designated programs. Your waiver decision serves the same purpose as a legal signature and is binding.
Selecting Yes indicates to programs that your Recommender completed their Recommendation with the understanding that you would not be able to view it. This means you will not be able to see the content of the Recommendation. Programs may view this type of Recommendation as a more accurate representation of an applicant's qualifications.
Selecting No indicates to programs that your Recommender completed their Recommendation with the understanding that you may choose to view it in the future. Selecting this option does not allow you to view your Recommendation via the application. If you do not waive your right to view the Recommendation, you may ask your reference for a copy of the Recommendation. Programs may view this type of Recommendation as a less accurate representation of an applicant's qualifications.
Once you make a selection, you can't change it, so consider the choices carefully.