Before You Begin
Evaluations (sometimes called Letters of Evaluation, Letters of Reference, or Letters of Recommendation) are submitted electronically by the evaluators themselves; they cannot be completed or submitted by the applicant or another party on behalf of the evaluator. We are not responsible for verifying evaluators' identities. If a discrepancy is found, we reserve the right to contact the applicant or evaluator to investigate and to share the discrepancy without comment with all programs.
Before getting started, consider the following:
- All evaluations are submitted electronically by evaluators using Letters by Liaison, our Recommender Portal.
- Research each program's requirements using the Pharm.D. School Directory. You should determine whether your programs have specific requirements regarding evaluator roles or relationships before listing evaluators on your application. Certain programs may prefer that evaluations are sent to them directly. Be sure to check each program's guidelines as completed evaluations cannot be removed or replaced.
- Prepare your evaluators. Once you choose your evaluators, be sure to inform them about the process and that they will be completing the evaluation electronically. We recommend getting their preferred email address and asking that they monitor that inbox – as well as any junk or spam folders – for your evaluation request. Evaluation requests originate from a @pharmcas.org email domain; for this reason, we recommend that evaluators ensure that this email domain is safe-listed.
The Evaluation Process
When you request evaluations, your evaluator receives an email request with a link to Letters by Liaison. Evaluators review your requests, and then accept, complete, or deny them. Evaluators may complete assessments such as writing essays, completing Likert scales, and/or uploading letters.
Once your evaluator completes your evaluation, you'll be notified via email. You can check the status of your evaluation requests in the Check Status tab of your application at any time.
If you want to submit a committee letter as part of your application, you can do so by entering the committee chair (or their alternate) as the evaluator. The committee chair must then complete the ratings section and upload one letter (that includes the assessments of various committee members) via Letters by Liaison, the Recommender Portal. Note that a committee letter only counts as one evaluation and the individuals who contributed to the letter may not be used as additional evaluators.
You can enter information for a maximum of 4 evaluations. If you want to submit more, contact your programs directly to see if they will accept additional or substitute evaluations.
Submit an Evaluation Request
- In the Evaluations section, click Create Evaluation Request.
- Select whether you are requested a committee evaluation.
- Enter the evaluator's full name and email address.
- Select the date by which you would like this evaluation completed. This date should be before your program(s) deadline.
- Enter a brief message or note for the evaluator.
- Select whether you want to waive your right of access to the evaluation. See Waiver below.
- Click the checkboxes to indicate your permission for us (and programs) to contact your evaluators.
- Click Save This Evaluation Request to submit it. Once you do so, an email is immediately sent to the evaluator.
- Confirm with your evaluators that they received the email notification.
- Use the Check Status tab to monitor the status of your evaluations. Completed evaluations are marked as "Complete" and have a Complete Date listed. Follow up with your evaluators if their evaluations are still marked as "Requested" or "Accepted." It is your responsibility to ensure that evaluation requests are received and completed on time. We will not notify applicants about missing evaluations.
Resend the Evaluation Request
If you need to resend a request:
- In the Evaluations section, locate the request you wish to resend.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the request.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Resend this Evaluation Request.
Change the Evaluator's Email Address
If you entered an incorrect email address for any evaluators (or if any evaluator asks that you send the request to a different email address), you must delete these requests and then re-add them with the correct email.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) gives you the right to access evaluations unless you choose to waive your right of inspection and review. Prior to requesting any evaluations, you are required to indicate whether you wish to waive your rights. PharmCAS will release your decision to waive or not waive access to your evaluators and designated programs. Your waiver decision serves the same purpose as a legal signature and is binding.
Selecting Yes indicates to programs that your evaluator completed their evaluation with the understanding that you would not be able to view it. This means you will not be able to see the content of the evaluation. Programs may view this type of evaluation as a more accurate representation of an applicant's qualifications.
Selecting No indicates to programs that your evaluator completed their evaluation with the understanding that you may choose to view it in the future. Selecting this option does not allow you to view your evaluation via the application. If you do not waive your right to view the evaluation, you may ask your evaluator for a copy of the evaluation. Programs may view this type of evaluation as a less accurate representation of an applicant's qualifications.
Once you make a selection, you can't change it, so consider the choices carefully.