In this section, you can enter demographic information about your parent(s) or guardian(s). This includes where they reside, their level of education, current occupation, and role within your household.
Some programs may use this information to determine residency or financial aid eligibility.
Education and Occupation (EO) Indicator
PharmCAS uses the Socioeconomic Status (SES) of your parents or guardians to produce an Education Occupation (EO) indicator score. The EO indicator is derived from your parent/guardian's education and occupation information. Four education levels and two aggregate groups of occupations provide the schema that is used to determine the EO indicator for each parent/guardian.
One of the following EO indicators will be displayed to your designated pharmacy schools for each parent/guardian listed on the PharmCAS application:
The lowest socioeconomic group is EO-2 and the highest is EO-6.
As shown in the chart below, the occupational categories are aggregated into:
- Service, clerical, skilled, and unskilled labor
- Executive, managerial, and professional
These categories are based on the U.S. Department of Labor Standard Occupational Classification schema.
The educational categories are aggregated into:
- Professional or graduate degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Some college, tech, or associate's degree
- High school degree or less
A separate EO indicator score will be calculated for each parent/guardian entered in the PharmCAS application in which both the educational and occupational data are available. If no parental education and/or occupational data is available for a particular parent/guardian, then no EO score will be calculated for that parent/guardian.
The EO indicator is intended to provide additional information on your socioeconomic status that can assist a pharmacy college or school in its holistic admissions review process. Pharmacy schools may choose to consider EO scores along with other important factors to identify applicants who have the potential to contribute to their respective goals and missions.
Add a Parent/Guardian
- Click Add a Parent/Guardian.
- Select the relationship between you and the parent/guardian.
- Enter their first and last names.
- Select their gender.
- Indicate if they are living or deceased.
- Select their occupation.
- Select their residency information.
- Select their education levels.
- Indicate whether this parent/guardian is in your primary household (where you lived during the majority of your life, from birth to age 18).
- Click Save and Continue.
- Add additional parents/guardians, as needed.