Skip to main content

Foreign and French-Canadian Transcripts


This topic pertains to applicants who attended foreign and French-Canadian schools. These instructions do not apply to applicants who attended a foreign school as part of a study abroad program. See Study Abroad and Overseas US Transcripts for more information on reporting your study abroad experience.

For each foreign institution entered, click Upload under Colleges Attended and upload any associated transcripts.

Canadian Schools

English-Canadian Transcripts

Canadian schools that provide English transcripts are not considered foreign. Transcripts from these schools must be sent to Common App for transfer. We accept but do not require foreign evaluations from Canadian schools that provide transcripts in English. Please see the US and English-Canadian Transcripts section for information on reporting that coursework.

French-Canadian Transcripts

Canadian schools that issue transcripts in French are considered foreign and must be reported like any other foreign school. We cannot accept original Canadian transcripts which are written in French. However, foreign evaluations for these schools should be sent to Common App for transfer.

Caribbean Medical Schools

All Caribbean medical schools are considered foreign institutions and are not US accredited, even if they have offices in the US or allow US licensing. Do not send transcripts from these schools to Common App for transfer, as they will be discarded. Determine whether your programs require foreign evaluations (which may be sent to Common App for transfer), or if they will accept original Caribbean transcripts mailed directly to the program.

Official Foreign Transcripts

If your program requires official foreign transcripts, submit a paper transcript via mail; be sure to include the Common App for transfer Transcript ID Form to help us match your mailed paper transcript to your application. Foreign transcripts must be in English or include a certified English translation.

Documenting Foreign Coursework

If you attended a foreign school or earned your degree outside of the United States, your program may require that you submit your foreign coursework to a US-based evaluation service for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to Common App for transfer from the evaluation service.

Be sure to contact the transcript evaluation service as early as possible; services can take several weeks to process your transcript(s) once received.

Do not send foreign transcripts to Common App for transfer, including those printed in English or translated into English; they will be discarded.

To send foreign evaluations by mail, use the following address:

Common App for transfer Transcript Processing Center
PO Box 9135
Watertown, MA 02471

International applicants can also send foreign evaluations to the following street address:

Common App for transfer Transcript Processing Center
c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street
STE 5600
Watertown MA 02472

We are not responsible for any materials lost in the mail. Express or certified mail does not guarantee faster processing or receipt. ​​​

  • Was this article helpful?