- Include all colleges you have attended even if your previous coursework or major is no longer what you want to study. Leaving out a college may cause delays in the processing of your application. Report all colleges attended, including:
- courses taken in high school for college or university credit
- summer courses
- community college courses
- US military academies (note that this does not include courses on SMART or JST transcripts)
- post-baccalaureate, graduate, and doctoral work
- study abroad, Canadian, and foreign work, etc.
- List all colleges on your application even if the coursework completed there was transferred to another college.
- Report each college only once, regardless of the number of degrees earned or gaps in the dates of attendance.
- Send official or upload unofficial transcripts. The programs you are applying to may have different requirements for transcripts. For example, some programs may require that you send official transcripts to Common App for transfer, some may require unofficial transcripts, and others might not require any transcripts. To view your program's transcript requirements, scroll down to the Program Requirements section.
Adding a College or University
- Click Add a College or University.
- Type and select your college or university. It may take several tries to find your school, especially if it shares its name with others or could be spelled differently. For example, if you attended "Saint John's University," try "Saint John," "St. John," or "St John" (no period) to find the college in the list. Select Can't find your school? if you cannot find your college in the list.
- Select if you earned (or plan to earn) a degree from the selected college.
- If you earned or plan to earn a degree, provide details about the earned or expected degree.
- If you have a double major, select the checkbox to enter your second major. Note that you can only enter one minor.
- Click Add another Degree to add additional degrees for this same college.
- Select your college's term system. You can usually find this on the back of your official transcripts, or you can contact your college's registrar.
- Term system refers to the type of hours your credits are worth, not the length of the academic term or how many academic terms a year your college offered.
- If your transcript lists some courses as quarter and others as semester, enter the term type that is most common (i.e., if you have six quarter terms and two semester terms, enter quarter).
- Select if you are still attending your college. Enter dates of the first and last terms you attended. If you are still attending, select Degree In Progress. Be sure to only enter each college you attended once, regardless of gaps in your attendance.
- Click Save to complete the entry.
If Your Program Requires Official Transcripts
For each college entered, click Order and select if you are ordering electronic transcripts (recommended) or submitting a transcript via mail. See Sending Official Transcripts to Common App for transfer for more information.
Note that if you attended a foreign college, your selected programs may require you to send a foreign evaluation. See Sending Official Transcripts to Common App for transfer for more information.
If Your Program Requires Unofficial Transcripts
For each college entered, click Upload and upload any associated transcripts.
If Your Program Doesn't Require Transcripts to be Submitted Through Common App for transfer
Some programs choose this option when they want your transcripts mailed directly to their office. For each college entered, click View Requirements to see the program's requirements.