In this section, you can enter your professional experiences in several categories, or types. Review the type definitions below, consider the duties you performed during the experience, and use your best judgment to determine which category your experience falls into. If you have any questions about your experiences fulfilling an individual program's requirements, inquire with that program directly.
Although you can enter any experiences that you believe are relevant to your application, we recommend focusing on those experiences within the last 10 years and at the collegiate level and above. Enter only current and in-progress experiences, and check your program's requirements regarding documentation.
This section can help colleges better understand your professional and personal experiences. Examples of experiences may include:
- Community engagement
- Family responsibilities
- Other experiences that are meaningful to you
All paid work; for example, a retail or restaurant job.
Any experience working on a research project, preferably in addition to or outside of regular classroom work. This may include student research positions, research technician positions, summer research student, master’s rotational student, etc.
Related activities you would like your selected programs to review; for example, academic clubs and competitive teams. Do not include paid work experience in this section.
Volunteer work done outside of the health care field; for example, working for Habitat for Humanity, tutoring students, participating in or working for a fundraiser walk or blood drive, etc.
Paid or unpaid internship programs, such as summer programs.
Enter Your Experience
- Click Add an Experience.
- Select the appropriate experience type from the drop-down.
- Enter information about the organization where the experience took place.
- Enter information about your supervisor at the organization. This is a person that programs can contact to verify that this experience occurred. If the experience was a student-organized group and there was no advisor, list a member who can verify your experience.
- Enter the date or date range in which the experience took place. Note that your experiences will not display on your application in any specific order, regardless of the dates entered.
- Enter additional details about the experience, including the title of the experience and the time commitments. Enter the average weekly number of hours that you completed for this experience during the date range that you indicated.
- Select Yes or No to indicate a release authorization to allow your selected programs to contact the organization.
- Click Save & Continue.
Note that you cannot repeat hours between Experience types. So, if position duties encompass more than one section, enter the position in both sections and divide the hours and duties accordingly.
Not all fields apply for every experience. For example, if you are describing a hobby or family responsibility, enter Not Applicable in the Organization Name field.