Skip to main content

University of Hawai'i System Quick Start Guide and FAQs

What is the University of Hawai'i System CAS? 

The University of Hawai'i System Centralized Application Service simplifies the process of applying to program at the University of Hawaii System (comprised of three universities, seven community colleges, and community-based learning centers across the state). You start by selecting the programs you wish to apply to, then you submit one application that includes all necessary materials. Once received by University of Hawai'i System, your application and materials are transmitted to your selected campus(es). Click here to start your application.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Transcripts and Documents Programs and Statuses Fees and Payments Other
Do I need to send transcripts?

Transcripts are not an admissions requirement for community college applicants; however, if you are applying for VA benefits or Financial Aid, or as a transfer student to any institution and want your credits from previous institutions evaluated for possible credit, request that official transcripts be sent to the campus you are applying to as soon as possible.


Should I send my high school transcripts?

High school transcripts are not required for admissions consideration to community colleges, but they may be used to determine placement in college-level English and Math courses. 


What if I did not graduate from high school or get my GED?

If you are at least 18 years of age prior to the start of the academic term, a high school diploma or GED is not required for admission to our community colleges. Current high school students should check with their high school counselor about Early College/Dual Enrollment opportunities.


How do I know what my primary institution is?

Your primary institution or your "home campus" is the institution that you are officially accepted into. 


What if I am already attending a University of Hawai'i community college?

You do not need to submit an online application if you are already accepted or currently enrolled at a UH campus and want to change your home campus to a Community College within the system. Instead, complete a Change of Home Institution form, which can be obtained from your campus Admissions and Records office.


Am I required to upload a Health Clearance Form?

Although it is not required for admissions purposes, you must provide health clearances prior to registering for classes. This application provides an easy way to upload your documents at once. Certificate of TB (Tuberculosis) examination, MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Tdap (Tetanus-diphteria-pertussis), and Varicella (chickenpox) immunization clearances are REQUIRED before you can register for classes. See the Documents section for more details.


Where can I get a TB test or immunization?

We recommend talking to your doctor. If you don't have a doctor on O'ahu and need one, call Aloha United Way 2-1-1. You can also contact the Hawai'i State Department of Health Tuberculosis Branch.


How do I remove a program?

Your application must always have at least one program selected. To remove a program, first navigate to the Add Programs tab and select the desired program(s). Then, navigate to the Submit Application tab and remove the undesired program(s).

You can remove program(s) at any time prior to submitting the application; however, any information entered in the Program Materials section will be lost and cannot be retrieved or transferred. Information in the Personal Information, Academic History, and Supporting Information sections will be retained for any programs to which you choose to submit.


Can I apply to more programs after I submit my application?

For Community College Applicants: Only one application to a program may be submitted to the University of Hawai'i System community colleges. If you already submitted an application to a community college and now want to apply to another community college campus, complete a Change of Home Institution form instead of this application. An additional application to a University of Hawai'i System community college program is not required and will not be processed. For additional information and access to the form, click here.


I submitted my application to the wrong program. What do I do?

Once you submit your application, you cannot remove any programs. To withdraw yourself from consideration for admission to a program, contact the campus program directly. Note that the University of Hawai'i System does not offer application fee refunds for any reason.


Will University of Hawai'i System update me on the status of my application?

Your application status for each program is listed in the Check Status section of the application. University of Hawai'i System will notify you when Recommendations are received.


When will I learn about admissions decisions? Did I get in!?

You must reach out to your program(s) to learn about a campus's admissions decisions.


Is there any other way to pay other than by credit card?

We currently accept payments by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, and Discover) and PayPal.


I want a refund. What do I need to do?

Refunds are not given for any reason. Review Refunding/Withdrawing Your University of Hawai'i System Application for more information.


What if I do not have an email address or phone number to create an account?

If you don't have an email address, you can use a free email provider like Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail to create one. If you don't have a phone number, enter 808-888-8888. 


How is residency determined? 

To qualify for resident tuition, you must have been a bona fide resident of Hawaiʻi for at least one calendar year (365 days) prior to the semester for which you want resident tuition status. This applies to adults 18 years of age or older. If you are a minor (under 18 years of age), your parents or court-ordered guardians must have been bona fide residents for the calendar year in question.

In addition, whether you are an adult or minor, you must not have been claimed as a dependent for tax purposes by your parents or court-ordered guardians for the calendar year in question if they are not legal residents of Hawaiʻi. See Residency for more information. 


  • Was this article helpful?