The process for reporting Study Abroad coursework varies depending on the program type and how the domestic institution reports it. Review the options below to determine how to report your experience. Contact customer service with any questions.
Study Abroad at an Overseas US Institution
If you studied at a school on the Overseas Institutions List (see list at the end of the page), you need to:
- Add the school in the Colleges Attended section and add any courses you completed at the school in the Transcript Entry section.
- Arrange for the Overseas US Institution to send your transcript directly to VMCAS.
Study Abroad at Another US Institution
If you used another US institution's program to study abroad or studied via one of the study abroad programs listed below, you must:
- Add the school in the Colleges Attended section.
- Add any courses you completed at the school in the Transcript Entry section. Make sure you mark these courses as Study Abroad during Transcript Review. Note that if you studied at:
- CEA Study Center: report your coursework under the University of New Haven (only for coursework exclusively at a study center).
- CIEE from 2016-present: report your coursework under Tulane University.
- CIEE before 2016: report CIEE as a foreign institution and, if applicable, request a foreign evaluation.
- IES Abroad: report your coursework under the University of Rochester.
- The School of Field Studies (SFS): report your coursework under the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
- Semester at Sea: report your coursework under the University of Virginia.
- SIT: report your coursework under the School of International Training.
- Arrange for the school to send your transcript directly to VMCAS.
Study Abroad via Any Other Method
If the two options above do not apply to you, you need to:
- List the courses with the rest of your undergraduate coursework at the home institution which you were enrolled in during your study abroad in the Transcript Entry section. Do not report the study abroad school as a foreign institution.
- Add the phrase "Study Abroad" to the title of each study abroad course entered. Make sure you mark these courses as Study Abroad during Transcript Review.
No additional transcripts or evaluations need to be submitted for these courses.
Note that VMCAS does not recognize study abroad company transcripts. If you studied abroad via a company such as IES, ISA, DIS, etc., complete the steps above to properly report your study abroad coursework.
Overseas Institutions List
VMCAS recognizes the following overseas foreign institutions that have US regional accreditation through CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) and use English as the primary language of instruction and documentation.
- Abu Dhabi University
- Al Akhawayn University
- Alliant IU Hong Kong
- American College in Dublin
- American College of Greece
- American College of Thessaloniki
- American University in Paris
- American University in Rome
- American University in Sharjah
- American University of Armenia
- American University of Beirut
- American University of Bulgaria
- American University of Dubai
- American University of Madaba
- American University of Ras Al Khaimah
- Amity University Uttar Pradesh
- Anglo American University
- Bermuda College
- Cairo American University
- Central European University
- CETYS University
- École hôtelière de Lausanne
- Franklin University Switzerland (formerly known as Franklin College Switzerland)
- Fundación Universidad de las Américas Puebla
- Glion Institute of Higher Education
- H. Lavity Stoutt Community College
- Hellenic American University
- INCAE Business School
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
- Lebanese American University
- Les Roches Global Hospitality Education
- Ming Chuan University
- Notre Dame University-Louaize
- Open University
- Perrotis College
- The University of the South Pacific
- United Arab Emirates University
- Universidad Andrés Bello
- Universidad de las Américas
- Universidad de las Américas, A.C.
- Universidad de Monterrey
- Universidad Mayor
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas
- United States International University Africa – Nairobi
- Zayed University
VMCAS recognizes the following US institutions with overseas campuses that are included in the US-based institution's accreditation through CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) and use English as the primary language of instruction and documentation.
- Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
- Georgetown University in Qatar
- Hebrew Union College (Jewish Institute of Religion) in Jerusalem
- Hult International Business School – campuses in Dubai, London, and Shanghai
- John Cabot University in Rome
- McDaniel College in Budapest
- Northwestern University in Qatar
- Richmond, the American International University in London
- RIT-Kosovo (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Texas A&M University in Qatar
- Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar
- Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar