Getting Started with Emails
If you're just getting started with emails in WebAdMIT, we recommend you complete the following steps in the order listed:
- Add the email addresses you want to use with emails. These addresses can be used for carbon copy (CC), blind carbon (BCC), and replies.
- Create email templates that you can use for quick correspondence with applicants.
- Determine how you want to send emails directly to applicants from WebAdMIT (there are several methods you can use).
- Use WebAdMIT's Search Correspondence function to keep track of emails that you've sent.
Creating New Templates
WebAdMIT allows you to create and save email templates for quick correspondence with applicants. You can edit, copy, activate, and deactivate templates as needed.
- Using the Menu Bar, open the Management panel, then click Email Templates.
- Click New Email Template.
- Enter a name, select who can view the email template, and select the associated programs. Use the Active checkbox to activate or deactivate the template, as needed.
- Enter a subject. Note that this is a required field. Using certain buzz words in the subject line or image-only emails can trigger spam filters. As a best practice, keep your subject lines as clear and concise as possible and avoid excessive use of capitalization and punctuation. For example, the subject line “Congratulations” may be marked as spam while “Congratulations on your acceptance to Watertown University!” will clear spam filters.
- Select email attachments, if applicable. Click Add Attachment and then click to browse or drag and drop your attachments. You can add the following file types (.jpeg, .jpg, .png, .txt, .rtf, .doc, .docx, and .pdf), up to 15 MB per file. There is no limit to the number of attachments for emails. To remove an attachment, click the delete icon.
When applicants receive the email, all attachments are located at the bottom of the email and either open in a new browser tab or download, depending on the applicant's browser configuration.
- Format your email. Note that this is a required field. The email editor allows you to:
- Bold, Italicize, and Underline text
- Change font type
- Change font size
- Use merge fields
- Change font color and background color
- Create a link or insert an image
- Create numbered list, bullet points, and increase or decrease the indentation
- Left, Center, or Right justify text
- Enter the current date using the clock button. This field will enter the date the email template is sent to the applicant. It is formatted as MMMM d, yyyy (e.g., July 9, 2020).
- Single space by using Shift+Enter
- To add an image or logo:
- Obtain a URL link for the image. You can do this by either searching online for your image or working with your IT or Marketing staff.
- Next, drag and drop it into the email template (if dragging and dropping from a website, be sure you are using the same browser), or click the image icon, then enter the image's link. Note that an error message displays when an incorrect image link or data URL is used. Additionally, ensure the image URL doesn't include spaces (which appear in the URL as %20), as this can prevent the email template from carrying forward during transfer settings.
- Right-click on the image to edit its properties, including size.
- To personalize the message using mail merge fields, click the lightbulb icon, then select the information you want to merge into the message. Note the following merge field behaviors:
- When using Interview Locations in a mail merge, the Interview Type is included with the Interview Location. For example, if your Interview type is First Interview and your location is Conference Room 243, the resulting email will display the information as First Interview: Conference Room 243 when selecting the Interview Location merge field.
- If you use date merge fields (e.g., Interview dates, Custom Fields built as date fields, etc.), starting in 2020 Releases 11 & 12, the date merge field format has changed to MMMM d, yyyy (e.g., July 9, 2020); previously, it populated as yyyy-MM-dd (e.g., 2020-07-09). You may need to update your email templates to accommodate this new format.
- Click Save.