WebAdMIT allows you to create a rich data file containing selected applicant and data elements. Exports are especially useful for committee review meetings and for integration with Student Information Systems (SIS).
- Using the Menu Bar, open the Reports & Exports panel, then click Export Manager.
- Click New Export.
- Select a list to export.
- Select an export type (.csv, .xls, .txt, or .zip).
- Enter a name for your export, and decide whether to include column headings. Column headings are names of the fields you select for the export.
- Select how you want to export fields with more than one result. This includes fields like College Names, Test Scores, Evaluations, etc.
- Select as many columns as needed to expand the field to display as many results as needed, based on the applicant pool you have chosen (i.e., if an applicant attended 10 colleges, the college field and all fields in that grouping will expand to 10 columns for all applicants).
- Select exactly to set a fixed number of columns allotted for all one-to-many fields (i.e., if you set it to 2 columns, all colleges attended, test scores, and experiences will expand to 2 columns each). Warning: when selecting this option for an applicant who has more answers than the number of columns you selected, you can’t control which data points appear in the export. Entering a higher number of fixed columns may help ensure that you export all necessary data.
- Select by field category to specify the number of fixed columns for a category. Selecting this option does not allow you to intermingle fields from different categories. Only sections with one-to-many fields offer the “Many” fields allowed: option.
- Indicate who can view the export (just you, select Work Groups, or all Work Groups).
- Indicate if it should appear in the Menu Bar under the Reports & Exports panel (this option provides you with quick access to run the export).
Note: Some CASs include a Last Export Date timestamp option. If this is set to will, the Last Exported Date field in the Designation panel of the Applicant Details Page updates with the date this export was most recently run, for all applicants included in the export. This date can be cleared individually for an applicant by clicking the Delete icon in the Designation panel, or it can be cleared in batch from List or Search Actions.
- Under the Export these fields… column, click the categories to view and select fields.
- The fields you select appear in the …in this order. column. If you previously selected .txt for the export type, you can set a fixed width for each field. Depending on the field, you can also select a data transformation option. These options are useful to IT staff when importing data into an SIS.
You can also configure custom column headings. To do so, click the default custom column heading in gray and type in the new column heading. Note that:
- You can enter up to a maximum of 255 characters for your new column heading.
- You can’t use the same column heading for different fields in an export template.
- If you select a "many" field, WebAdMIT automatically appends "_0, _1, etc." to the end of your column heading, as needed.
- If you carry forward an export template that has custom column headings through the Transfer Settings feature, the custom column headings will also carry forward.
- After selecting your fields, use the grip icon to drag and drop them into the preferred order; the top field will export first, and the bottom last. Additionally, you can group by field or numerically.
- Group by Field exports the data by field category (e.g., College Name 1, College Name 2, College Name 3, College State 1, College State 2, College State 3).
- Group by Numeric exports the data by value (e.g., College Name 1, College State 1, College Name 2, College State 2, College Name 3, College State 3).
- When you’re done adding criteria, click Create File to save and run the export, Save Export Settings to save the customized export for future use, or Return to Export Manager to cancel the export.
Note: An Office 2007 security feature may prevent you from opening an export or report in .xls format. Adjust your export type to .csv to avoid this issue. Additionally, versions of MS Excel prior to 2007 limit data to 255 columns, including data points that may generate more than one column, such as Colleges Attended. For larger exports, please use the .csv format. These files can be opened in MS Excel 2007 and later, even if they exceed 255 columns. Exceeding the export fields limit will result in an "Internal Server Error" message. To export all fields, try dividing the fields into two or more separate exports.
Once you download your export file, you can use your system's software to sort, reorder, and filter the data.
To manage existing exports, click on Export Manager from the Menu Bar.
- To run an export, click the export name.
- To reorder an export, use the grip icon to drag and drop the export into the preferred order.
- To modify an export, click the pencil icon. Note that only export owners can perform edits. If you need to modify an export of which you are not the owner (or view its settings), you may choose to make a copy of the export instead.
- To copy an existing export, click the duplicate icon.
- To delete an export, click the remove icon. Note that only export owners can delete exports.