Best Practices in Setting Up a Review Process
If you're just getting started with building a review process in WebAdMIT, we recommend that, where applicable, you complete the following steps in the order listed:
- Build a checklist of supplemental requirements for each applicant.
- Track applicants during each stage of your admissions process.
- Store information in Custom Fields that your program needs but is not collected from the applicant in the CAS application.
- Upload documents directly to an application in WebAdMIT, whether it's a document the applicant sends you or one that you want to attach to their file.
- Create tasks for reviewers through Assignments, where the reviewer can add their comments and scores.
- Create and assign Interviews for reviewers, including tracking the date and location of the interview.
- Score applicants based on institutional rating policies.
- Depending on your CAS, you may also have access to retrieving background checks.
Additionally, explore these resources for best practices when building a review process:
WebAdMIT allows you to create and assign Interviews for reviewers. Interviews appear on a user's Dashboard until completed.
Creating Interview Types
- Using the Menu Bar, open the Management panel, then click Interviewing.
- Click New Interview Type.
- Enter a name and select the associated programs. If you don't select programs when you create your Interview, your template is marked as deactivated. Once you reactivate it, the template will automatically have all programs selected. Additionally, if you deselect all remaining activated programs, the template is marked as deactivated.
- Add schedule information, if applicable. When adding schedule information, use the add icon to add dates and times. Additionally, if applicable, select a Maximum Seat number. This prevents you from over-assigning this date/time.
- Select if you want to use locations. This allows you to record where Interviews take place, such as Room 121B or North Campus.
- Select if you want to use questions. If adding questions for the reviewer, enter a question name. This can be used to indicate what items should be reviewed. Then indicate if you want to use scores and/or comments with the questions. Additionally, select whether the question is active.
- Select if you want to use overall scores. If adding overall scores when using questions:
- Select Average of Questions to provide an average score across all question scores.
- Select Sum of Questions to provide a sum of all question scores.
- Select Enter by User to allow the user to enter a score; use this option if you are not using questions or if the overall score is not a direct calculation of the questions.
- Select if you want to use overall comments. Allowing Overall Comments enables a text box for reviewers to enter comments.
- Select if you want to use overall remarks. If adding overall remarks, enter the items that you want to appear in a drop-down list for users.
- Enter instructions if desired, then click Submit.
If you deactivate an Interviewing template after it has been assigned and/or completed for applicants, all instances of the template are removed from the Interviews panel on the Applicant Details page. If you reactivate the template, all information including any completed fields reappears on the Applicant Details page.
Working with Interviewer Availability
WebAdMIT allows you to configure which time slots are available for each user to conduct Interviews.
- Using the Menu Bar, open the Management panel, then click Admissions Users.
- Click the calendar icon for the applicable user. Note that this icon only appears if Interviews were created/enabled, and availability cannot be edited for previous cycles.
- Click the pencil icon for the applicable Interview type.
- Select the days and times the user is available to conduct Interviews, then click Submit.
The user becomes grayed out for any dates/times that are unchecked here.
Interviews are created by a WebAdMIT Administrator, but anyone with the Manage Assignments and Interviews permission in their Work Group can assign an applicant to an interviewer. Interviews also become available when working with Lists, Exports, Scoring, and Email Templates as merge fields.
- To assign an Interview to an applicant individually, go to the Interviews panel on the desired Applicant Details page, and click New Interview. Note that this button only appears when at least one Interview Type exists for an applicable program.
- Select the Interview type and date/time. Note that applicants cannot view or select their preferred Interview date/time in WebAdMIT. Instead, contact the applicants separately to learn their Interview schedule preferences and then use the Interview template to record this information.
- Assign an Interviewer and location. To select multiple interviewers, select all the applicable checkboxes.
- Click Submit.
Interviews can also be distributed in batch. List Actions, Search Actions, and Clipboard Actions each contain an Interview Checked Applicants option. When selecting multiple interviewers from List Actions, Search Actions, and Clipboard Actions, click the checkbox next to each applicable interviewer.
Submitting Interview Results
Completing the Interview
Once an Interview has been assigned, you will have an Interviews panel on your Dashboard. Clicking the applicant's name takes you to the Applicant Details page, where the Interview results can be submitted.
- To complete an Interview, click Submit Results from the Interviews panel.
- Enter scores and comments, where applicable. If scores are enabled, the individual score field is required. Depending on the Interview's configuration, overall scores are calculated by a sum or average of the question scores, or they can be entered independently by the interviewer.
- Enter overall comments and overall remarks, then click Complete Interview to submit your responses or Save without Completing to save your input for future edits.
Updating Completed Interviews
If you have the View Other User's Assignment/Interview Results permission enabled in your Work Group, you can view the results of other user's completed Interviews. If you have the Manage Assignments and Interviews permission, you can edit completed Interviews.
- To update a completed Interview, navigate to the Interview and click the Date link.
- Edit the Interview, then click Update Results.
Searching for Interviews
- Using the Menu Bar, open the Applicants panel, then click Search Interviews.
- You can apply one or more filters to refine the list of search results, including searching by Any Value and None in some drop-downs. Only applicants you have permission to view will appear in your results. If filters are hidden, click the Show Filters button to display them.
- Click the Sort Results button to sort your results by name, email address, or ID number.
Applying Search Actions to Selected Applicants
Use the checkboxes in the first column of your search results to select multiple applicants and apply an action.
- Add Checked Applicants to Clipboard: add the selected applicants to the Clipboard.
- Assign Checked Applicants: assign the selected applicants to a specific admission user (this function only appears if Assignments are configured).
- Interview Checked Applicants: create an Interview for the selected applicants (this function only appears if Interviews are configured).
- Change Checked Applicants' Status: change the Local Status for the selected applicants (this function only appears if Local Statuses are configured).
- Email Checked Applicants: send an email to the selected applicants.
- Clear Last Exported Date Timestamp for Checked Applicants: remove the Last Exported date recorded in WebAdMIT for the selected applicants.
- Update Custom Fields for Checked Applicants: update the custom fields that have been defined for selected applicants (this function only appears if Custom Fields are configured).
- Accept Checked Applicants Requirement Criterion: select a requirement and update the response to that requirement for the selected applicants (this function only appears if Requirements are configured).
- Enable Applicant Gateway Activities for Checked Applicants: activate the pre-configured Applicant Gateway activities for selected applicants (only available for select CASs; this function only appears if Applicant Gateway activities are configured).
Warning: enabling Applicant Gateway Activities and Assigning/Interviewing Checked Applicants are advanced functions that can’t be undone in batch. Confirm that your search results and selections are accurate before performing the change.