Export Manager basics:
Further customizing your export templates:
WebAdMIT allows you to create a rich data file containing selected applicant and data elements. Export files are sometimes called "flat files." Exports are especially useful for committee review meetings and for integration with Student Information Systems (SIS). To create exports, you must have the Manage Lists, Reports, and Exports permission in your Work Group.
- Using the Menu Bar, open the Reports & Exports panel, then click Export Manager.
- Click New Export.
- Select a list to export.
- Select an export type (.csv, .xls, .txt, or .zip). See Notes and Consideration below for additional guidance.
- Enter a name for your export, and decide whether to include column headings. Column headings are names of the fields you select for the export.
- Select how you want to export fields with more than one result. This includes fields like College Names, Test Scores, Evaluations, etc.
- Select as many columns as needed to expand the field to display as many results as needed, based on the applicant pool you have chosen (i.e., if an applicant attended 10 colleges, the college field and all fields in that grouping will expand to 10 columns for all applicants).
- Select exactly to set a fixed number of columns allotted for all one-to-many fields (i.e., if you set it to 2 columns, all colleges attended, test scores, and experiences will expand to 2 columns each). Warning: when selecting this option for an applicant who has more answers than the number of columns you selected, you can’t control which data points appear in the export. Entering a higher number of fixed columns may help ensure that you export all necessary data.
- Select by field category to specify the number of fixed columns for a category. Selecting this option does not allow you to intermingle fields from different categories. Only sections with one-to-many fields offer the “Many” fields allowed: option.
- When you select a list from the Export... drop-down, a new option, Export will not/will honor Designation criteria from the List, appears. If this is set to will, and your list filters applicants by any field in the Designations field grouping (e.g., Designation, Application Status, etc.), then the export will include only the data that matches that selected designation criteria. See Notes and Consideration below for additional guidance.
- Indicate if it should appear in the Menu Bar under the Reports & Exports panel. This option provides you with quick access to run the export.
- Indicate who can view the export (just you, select Work Groups, or all Work Groups).
- Where available, select if the Last Export Date timestamp will update for applicants. If this is set to will, the Last Exported Date field in the Designation panel of the Applicant Details page updates with the date this export was most recently run, for all applicants included in the export. You must have the Update Last Exported Date Timestamp When Exporting permission in your Work Group for this field to update. See Notes and Consideration below for additional guidance.
- Under the Export these fields… column, click the categories to view and select fields. Be sure to review the following documents:
- The Custom Export Layout Files list all the available fields in the Export Manager for your CAS. They include each field name, field type (numeric, Boolean, etc.), and associated lookup tables.
- The Master College Code List includes a holistic list of all college names, their respective Liaison, MDB, CEEB, FICE, and/or IPED codes, and accreditation agency, if applicable.
- The Master Degree Code List includes a holistic list of all degrees and their codes.
- The Master High School Code List includes a holistic list of all high school names and their respective CEEB codes.
- The fields you select appear in the …in this order. column. If you previously selected .txt for the export type, you can set a fixed width for each field. Depending on the field, you can also select a data transformation option. These options are useful to IT staff when importing data into an SIS.
Where available, you can also configure custom column headings. To do so, click the default custom column heading in gray and type in the new column heading. Note that:
- You can enter up to a maximum of 255 characters for your new column heading.
- You can’t use the same column heading for different fields in an export template.
- If you select a "many" field, WebAdMIT automatically appends "_0, _1, etc." to the end of your column heading, as needed.
- If you carry forward an export template that has custom column headings through the Transfer Settings feature, the custom column headings will also carry forward.
- After selecting your fields, use the grip icon to drag and drop them into the preferred order; the top field will export first, and the bottom last. Additionally, you can group by field or numerically.
- Group by Field exports the data by field category (e.g., College Name 1, College Name 2, College Name 3, College State 1, College State 2, College State 3).
- Group by Numeric exports the data by value (e.g., College Name 1, College State 1, College Name 2, College State 2, College Name 3, College State 3).
- When you’re done adding criteria, click Create File to save and run the export, Save Export Settings to save the customized export for future use, or Return to Export Manager to cancel the export.
Once you download your export file, you can use your system's software to sort, reorder, and filter the data. Be aware that the order data for one-to-many fields exports from WebAdMIT is arbitrary; it does not follow the order from the application, least important to most important, chronological, alphabetical, etc.