Getting Started with Creating Custom GPAs
If you're just getting started with creating custom GPAs, we recommend you review the following information:
- Create an automatic, customized Local GPA from all classes in desired subject areas, classifications, and academic years.
- Build a set of prerequisite courses that are only visible to your admissions team and match them for each applicant.
Additionally, explore these resources to more fully understand the coursework and verification requirements for applicants:
- The Application Statuses Reference Guide defines the application statuses you may see in WebAdMIT.
- The Applicant Processing Reference Guide outlines the verification process, what CAS GPAs may automatically be available to you, and how the Academic Update (AU) process can affect coursework and GPAs mid-cycle.
Creating Prerequisite GPAs
The Prerequisite GPAs feature allows you to create a set of prerequisite courses and match them for each applicant. These Prerequisite GPAs are separate from those created in the Configuration Portal for applicants to interact with.
- To create a Prerequisite GPA, open the Management panel on the Menu Bar, then click Prerequisite GPAs.
- Click New Prerequisite GPA.
- Begin by creating a Prerequisite GPA category. Enter a name, select whether you are including or ignoring +/- grades, select the programs associated with this Prerequisite GPA, and click Submit.
- Click add criterion to add a criterion to the GPA.
- Enter a description for the new criterion, then click Submit. If applicable, enter values for Minimum GPA and Minimum Credits. Note that the minimum credits you enter here are semester credits.
- Continue to add criteria as desired.
Working with Prerequisite GPAs
Once Prerequisite GPAs have been created, you can match an applicant's courses to them. You can also edit the courses an applicant has selected for Prerequisites built in the Configuration Portal. To view the original, applicant-selected courses, download the full application PDF under the Documents panel.
Prerequisite GPAs are created by a WebAdMIT Administrator, but anyone with the Modify Applicants' Custom Fields, Local GPAs, Prerequisites, and Requirements permission in their Work Group can work with them, matching courses to prerequisites. Prerequisite GPAs also become available when working with Lists, Exports, Reports, Scoring, and Email Templates as merge fields.
Matching and editing prerequisites must be done individually for each applicant. For this reason, it is recommended that you use this feature further in your review process, as you can focus on a smaller number of applicants.
Matching Prerequisites in the Electronic Transcripts Panel
- To add courses to specific Prerequisite GPAs, navigate to the Electronic Transcript and select a Prerequisite GPA template from the View drop-down.
- The resulting view displays a Requirements column. To add a course to a prerequisite, click the Prerequisite GPAs button and select the applicable prerequisite.
- As courses are selected, they are included in the Prerequisite GPA calculation.
Reviewing Course Selections in the Prerequisite GPAs Panel
This panel displays a summary of your prerequisites, whether the applicant has completed them, and the applicant's total credits and average GPA used to fulfill the criterion.
Prerequisite criteria can be fulfilled in two ways:
- Associate the prerequisite with a course from the Electronic Transcript (as described above). When the matched course(s) meets the GPA and Credit thresholds that you have determined (labeled as Min. GPA and Min. Credits on the Prerequisite GPA panel), the criterion is marked as fulfilled.
To view the course(s) that is fulfilling a criterion, click the Details link. To view all courses matched to a criterion, click Expand all.
- Manually fulfill the criterion. To manually fulfill a criterion, click the Force Fulfill checkbox.
Be aware that all applicant courses are converted to semester credits, and all minimum credit values are semester-based. If an applicant completed a 4-credit course based on a quarter system, their converted credits will be 2.667 semester credits. Some prerequisites may be marked unfulfilled because the converted credit value is less than the minimum credits. In this scenario, you can click Force Fulfill to mark the criterion as fulfilled.
Confirming Prerequisite GPAs in the GPA Overview Panel
To view the Prerequisite GPA calculation for an applicant, navigate to the GPA Overview panel on their Applicant Details page and click the Prerequisite GPA subpanel. Initially, the GPA will be 0.00, as courses need to be matched to the prerequisite in order for a GPA to be calculated.
When should I use Local GPAs, Prerequisite GPAs in WebAdMIT, or Prerequisites in the Configuration Portal?
When creating custom GPA calculations in WebAdMIT, it can be challenging to determine which of the available features is best for your process. Review the scenarios below for guidance.
Part of Dani Director's review process is making sure applicants have completed 10 specific prerequisite courses (e.g., Anatomy and Physiology I, Biology I, etc.). Dani spends a lot of time reviewing an applicant's coursework for these prerequisites. She would like it if applicants could self-identify their coursework, and then she could review it for accuracy.
If available in her CAS, Dani can use the Prerequisites feature in the Configuration Portal to list the exact courses she wants applicants to self-identify and her suggestions for the minimum grade and credits that the applicant should receive in these courses. Dani can then review the applicant's selections and change them as needed in WebAdMIT.
Dani Director wants her applicants to know what her program's prerequisites (e.g., Anatomy and Physiology I, Biology I, etc.) are, but she wants to select the courses that meet her prerequisites.
Dani can identify in her program's home page instructions what her program's prerequisite courses are. Then, she can use the Prerequisite GPA feature in WebAdMIT to identify and track an applicant's completion of her prerequisites.
Alternatively, if available in her CAS, Dani can use the Prerequisites feature in the Configuration Portal to list her program's prerequisites and have the applicants self-identify the courses they feel meet her guidelines. Dani can still build a Prerequisite GPA in WebAdMIT to track an applicant's completion of her prerequisites. Dani likes to have two Prerequisite models, one that is applicant-completed and one that is admissions-completed, as it can help her compare how an applicant feels they meet her prerequisites versus how her program feels the applicant meets her prerequisites.
Dani Director needs a Science GPA that includes courses taken in the Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Physics course subjects. She can then use this GPA to compare her applicants more equitably.
Dani can use the Local GPA feature to automatically calculate GPAs for any courses taken in these course subject fields. If needed, she can review the courses selected and unselect any that she doesn't want included.