In Admissions, Custom Properties are customized fields you can create to capture additional information. Custom Properties come in three forms:
- Standard Property - A custom field that can be edited when viewing an application.
- Calculated Property - A custom field that is automatically computed from other application fields or material.
- System Property - A custom field that is only populated via API.
By default, Custom Properties can be reviewed for applicants by going to Application Properties in the More Options menu on an application, but you can edit the placement of these fields by going to Application Properties in the Application Setup section of the Settings menu and clicking Manage.
Custom Properties can also be included in exports and filters.
Creating Custom Properties
Custom Properties can be used to track any additional applicant information. To create a Custom Property:
- Navigate to the Settings menu and click Application Properties under the Application Setup heading. From here, you can review all of your existing Custom Properties.
- Click Manage.
- From the Manage Custom Properties page, you can add, edit, reorder, or delete Custom Properties.
- To add a new Custom Property, select the type of Custom Property you want and drag it to your desired location among the existing Custom Properties.
- To add a field that can be viewed and edited from the applications, select Standard Property. For example, this can be an internal application ID, a re-applicant indicator, or the date the applicant was last exported.
- To add a field that is only populated through an API, select System Property. This is a field that automatically updates based on the information it receives through your data integration processes, and cannot be directly edited.
- Select your desired Data Type. These include:
- Boolean: These are fields that can be set to True or False (Yes or No).
- Number: These are fields to be populated with a numeric value.
- String: These are fields to be populated with text values.
- Date: These are fields to be populated with a date.
- JSON: These fields can be created with JSON code for storing structured data that may not be suitable for a single property value.
- File: These fields are completed by uploading a file.
- Options: These fields designed to offer a multiple-choice dropdown menu.
- Concealed: These are fields that are only visible to users with the View Concealed Fields permission.
- If the field is a Calculated Property, enter an expression indicating how the field should calculate its value. Click Try it to test your expression with existing applications.
- When you're ready, click Add. Then click Save Changes at the top right. Your new field is now available to work with.
Viewing and Editing Custom Properties
Standard Property types can be updated or reviewed for applicants individually by going to Application Properties in the More Options menu on an application. Calculated and System Property types can also be viewed there, but cannot be edited directly. You can edit the placement of these fields by going to App Review in the Application Review section of the Settings menu and clicking Manage.
Best Practices for Custom Properties
Here are some things to keep in mind regarding creating and working with Custom Properties:
- You can create Custom Properties for any value that should be available when viewing applications, building Segments, or creating reports.
- Custom Properties created as System Properties or Calculated Properties cannot be edited directly on applications.