What is the Transfer Settings Feature?
The Settings Transfer feature in WebAdMIT for AMCAS allows you to transfer templates from the previous cycle to the new/current cycle. When settings are transferred, active templates from the List Manager, Export Manager, Custom Fields, Local Status, Local GPAs, Prerequisite GPAs, Requirements, Scoring, Assignments, Interviewing, Workgroups, Email Templates, and Email Addresses are transferred from once cycle to the next.
How does the Transfer Settings Feature Work?
The Transfer Settings feature is made available to all users assigned to a Work Group with the Configure Software permission, including anyone assigned to the WebAdMIT Administrators Work Group.
Transfer Settings can only be completed by a single user once per cycle for each medical school.
Several features in WebAdMIT have a visibility option. This includes Lists, Exports, and Email Templates. If you wish to transfer these items, they should be set to "Visible by Everyone." Any Lists, Exports, or Email Templates that are private or not accessible to this user will not transfer to the new cycle.
Items such as Local Statuses, Custom Fields, Local and Prerequisite GPAs, Requirements, Scoring, Assignments, Interviewing, and Email Addresses do not have an owner, but instead are attached to programs. These items apply to all programs that the user doing the transfer has access to. Ensure that the user doing the transfer has the needed access before transferring your settings.
After transferring your templates, be sure to review them to ensure they transferred correctly. For example, in a subsequent cycle there may be new fields added. Review Lists and Exports to confirm whether or not updates are needed.
The user who initiates the Settings Transfer becomes the owner of transferred Lists and Exports, which allows them to edit and delete, as necessary. Other users must be granted permission via the new Work Group permission feature to use these items.
How do I Initiate the Transfer Settings Feature?
To initiate the Transfer Settings:
- Locate the Transfer Settings from Previous Setup panel in the center section of the dashboard. At the beginning of a new cycle, this is made available to all users with the Configure Software permission in their Work Group.
- Click Transfer from 20XX WebAdMIT, then review the templates that will be carried over.
- Note: clicking “dismiss it permanently” in the Transfer Settings panel removes the option to transfer settings for the entire medical school for the duration of the application cycle.
- To cancel and not proceed with the Settings Transfer, click Cancel Transfer.
- When you are finished, approve the Settings Transfer.
What is Not Transferred with This Feature?
Applicant Headers and Report Manager templates don’t transfer, and thus need to be rebuilt in the new cycle. Additionally, Admissions Users don’t transfer. An Institution Manager must add the new cycle to each user’s account. To do this:
- Select the previous cycle in the CAS/Organization/Cycle drop-down in the upper right corner.
- Open Admission Users under the Management panel in the Menu Bar.
- Click the pencil icon to edit a user’s account.
- Click the green plus sign next to the cycle year you would like to add.
- Be sure this added cycle displays in the Modify Assignments for Organization drop-down.
- Assign the appropriate Work Group and program(s) for this user.
When Should You Transfer Your Settings?
It is recommended that you initiate the Settings Transfer process before doing any set-up in the new cycle.
With the exception of Lists, Requirements, and Email Addresses, if there is any item in the cycle that exists with the same name as an item you wish to transfer, the transfer will be blocked and the item will not be transferred.
Get Ready Checklist
Use the recommended checklist below to follow your progress through each Settings Transfer process.
- Two months before the new cycle starts, review all templates created by you and other users, and delete/deactivate any that you are not using and do not want to be carried forward into the new cycle.
- Two months before the new cycle starts, instruct all users in WebAdMIT to change any lists, exports, and email templates to be “visible by Everyone” if they would like to have these items carried forward into the new cycle.
- One month before the new cycle starts, decide who will initiate the transfer for your organization. This person will become the owner of the transferred lists and exports, and will have editing and deletion abilities. Ensure that they are placed in a Work Group with the Configure Software permission set or in the WebAdMIT Administrators Work Group for the previous and new cycles. Also ensure that they have access to all programs in the previous and new cycles.
- One month before the new cycle starts, decide who is the Institution Manager for your organization. This person will add the new cycle to all other users’ accounts, place them in a Work Group, and add the appropriate program(s).
- Within the first week after the new cycle starts, look for the Transfer Settings from Previous Setup panel on the dashboard. Alert the individual who will be transferring your settings that this is available.
- After the transfer has completed, check all features to ensure they carried forward correctly, and make edits as needed. Where necessary, remember to update Lists and Exports, ensuring they are visible only to your desired Work Groups.